I know, it’s a bit late for a Best Of 2009 list! I had to think about the December books for a while and get some perspective on them, and I had to figure out how I defined “Best Of”.
When I find an author I enjoy, I will track down and read as many books by them as I can, so I’ve broken my “Best Of” into two sections:
- Awesome authors I discovered in 2009
- Amazing Books I read in 2009
But first, lets look at my reading statistics – I am a scientist after all.
In total, I read 194 books in 2009 (including audio books). I read the most in December (22) and the least in April (11).
Looking at genre, in 2009 I read:
107 fantasy books (55%)
13 science fiction books (7%)
31 romance books (16%)
16 graphic novels (8%)
21 fiction books of other genres (mystery/thriller/chick lit/whatever) (11%)
and 6 non-fiction books (3%)
In conclusion, I really like fantasy! (Please note that some of the romance and most of the graphic novels could be also be defined as fantasy.)
Awesome Authors I Discovered In 2009
Can there be anything more fun than reading an amazing book that blows you away and then finding out the author has a backlist of books for you to glom? I don’t think so!
- Ann Aguirre
- Kristin Cashore
- Colin Cotterill
- Jeaniene Frost
- Linnea Sinclair
- Nalini Singh
Amazing Books I Read In 2009
These books all have something extra that makes them stand out in my memory. (To get on this list I had to have read these books for the first time in 2009.)
- Cordelia’s Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold
- Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith
- Thief With No Shadow by Emily Gee
- Fire by Kristin Cashore
- Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson
- The Eight by Katherine Neville
- A Shadow in Summer by Daniel Abraham
- Games of Command by Linnea Sinclair
- Trick of the Light by Rob Thurman
- Fables: The Dark Ages by Bill Willingham
Wow – these authors and books are pretty wonderful! I only hope that I can find some equally amazing new authors and equally special books in 2010.